Step 2: How to Enter
Be sure to note that each category has its own rules and additional prizes for you to win!
Looking for inspiration or ideas to get your Contest entry started? Check out our Best Practices Resource page.
Wyland, Official Endorser of the Art Category
Do you love to draw or paint and have a sketchbook with you wherever you go? If so, this category has your name on it!
Art Entry Rules:
• Art entries must be of nature. This could be a plant, animal or natural landscape but pets or farm animals like dogs, cats and horses are not eligible
• Art entries should be full colour and no bigger than 17” x 12”
• Mailed in entries will be returned only if: they do not win and a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) that fits the artwork is included with the submission. Entries are separated during the judging process. Teachers who wish to ensure all class entries are returned are reminded to submit a SASE with each entry.
• Art prize packs with an exciting assortment of art supplies from Binders Art Supplies and Frames.
Margaret Atwood, Official Endorser of the Writing Category
Do you love reading and love getting lost in the beauty of words? If this speaks to you, be sure to enter this category!
Writing Entry Rules:
• Entries must be 40 words or less (Yes, forty!)
• Writing entries should be about nature This could include plants, animals, landscapes but pets or farm animals like dogs, cats and horses are not eligible
• A cool assortment of fiction and non-fiction books and other great prizes from our partners.
Joel Sartore, Official Endorser of the Photography Category
Are you a shutter bug and see the world through the lens of a camera? Enter this category and show us your work!
Photography Entry Rules:
• You must take the photo(s) yourself
• Photography entries should be about nature. This could be a plant or animal but pets or farm animals like dogs, cats and horses are not eligible
• Be sure to use the highest quality setting on the camera – photos must be at least 3 megapixels, and ideally 6 or higher
• Only JPEG images are accepted (no RAW/DNG images)
• Photos may not be altered (like Photoshop) in any way and must be taken during an experience in nature
• Entries must be submitted online
• LUMIX DMC digital cameras from Panasonic
Les Stroud, Official Endorser of the Videography Category
Are you a visual storyteller whose favourite words are “action” and “cut”? Consider this category your next project!
Videography Entry Rules:
• All entries, including any still images, music, and video clips that are part of the video, must be original
• All entries must be exactly 30 seconds or 60 seconds in length
• Video entries should be about nature. This could include a plant, animal or landscape but pets or farm animals like dogs, cats and horses are not eligible
• You are welcome to work with friends, siblings, classmates, etc. in creating a video; however, only one prize package will be awarded per team
• All entries must be uploaded to Youtube or Schooltube and a contest entry form must be filled out
• LUMIX camcorders from Panasonic
Joe Reilly, Official Endorser of the Music Category
Do you speak the language of rhythm, harmony and beat? Be sure to gain inspiration from nature and compose a song for submission into the brand new music category!
Music Entry Rules:
• All entries must be original compositions
• Entries can be entirely instrumental or include lyrics
• If lyrics are included in the composition, all lyrics must be original and written by the entrant; a lyric sheet should be included with your contest entry form
• You are welcome to work with friends, siblings, classmates, etc. in creating a composition; however, only one prize package will be awarded per team
• All compositions must be under 3 minutes in length
• Music entries should be about nature. This could include plants, animals or landscape but pets or farm animals like dogs, cats and horses are not eligible
• Entries can be submitted through the Contest’s submission portal, YouTube or Schooltube, but an entry form must be filled out regardless of how the file is submitted
• Great musical instruments and gifts to get you rocking.