These are the official rules and regulations for the Get to Know Contest in the United States. (Please note that the Contest rules in Canada are different).
- Open to all U.S. residents 19 and under
- No purchase is necessary
- Entries must be received by no later than 11:59 PM PST on November 01.
- You may enter as many categories as you want!
- Entries must be inspired by nature (i.e no domestic animal entries).
Contest Prizes will be awarded following the contest close on November 1st.
Be sure to check out the Contest categories page to learn more about category specific prizes that you can win!
3. Originality and plagiarism policy
All entries must be original, and must not be a copy of any existing work. Whether you intend to or not, claiming that someone else's work is your own ("plagiarism") is a serious violation of copyright law. Plagiarism and forgery result in criminal sanctions, fines and civil damages. You must be very careful to make sure that your creation(s) is original and cannot be considered the work of others. Be creative! Get outdoors and experience nature and share your experience with us through art.
The best way to be sure your art is an original is to get outside! We strongly encourage all entrants to go outdoors and experience nature for themselves. Get outside and observe your wild neighbours in their natural environment; make sketches, have a photo/video shoot in the best possible setting, get wild inspiration for your poetry or music. This contest is all about having fun and spending creative time outdoors. So get out there and share your experience through art.
4. Entrant Agreement
By submitting an entry, the entrant (if 18 or older) or the entrant's adult representative (if the entrant is under age 18):
- Certifies that the entry submitted is entirely original.
- Takes any and all legal responsibility for breaches of copyright caused by plagiarism.
- Grants Get to Know a license to reproduce the submitted work, in whole or in part, for any purpose, including research, on the internet, in print publications and/or in any other medium without compensation of any kind and to publish the entrant's name, age, and home city/state in conjunction with the work.
- Authorizes persons accessing www.get-to-know.org or any affiliated websites to view, download and print the work for personal and classroom educational purposes.
If the entrant is under age 18, the adult representative assumes all liability for the entrant and indemnifies Get to Know in respect of all matters related to the entry.
5. Judging and Administration
For the art, writing and photography categories, 3 winning entries are chosen from each of the following age groups:
- Kindergarten to Grade 4
- Grades 5 to 7
- Grades 8 to 10
- Grades 11 to 12
For the video and music categories, a total of 3 winning entries will be chosen.
This contest is administered by the Wild Neighbours Society. Get to Know reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who violates any of the contest rules, who attempts to influence or receive unfair consideration from the judges, or who tampers with the entry process or the operation of the www.get-to-know.org web site or any affiliated websites. Get to Know reserves the right to cancel or modify the contest and/or the prizes in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Get to Know that would prevent the normal completion of the contest. Get to Know reserves the right to adjust the age categories listed above depending on the number of entries received.